Education is recovering to a better normal after the pandemic, while facing an ever evolving digital revolution . Powerful digital technologies and tools ensure quality and sustainable education for all. Among these, artificial intelligence (AI) is transforming the contents and pedagogies of cartographic and geospatial information education. Debates about roles of generative AI tools in education are being heated in various fields. What will the role of AI be in cartography and GIS education, research and practice? It is exciting to explore how educators and learners can better tap such tools for the transformation of Cartographic and Geospatial Information Education in the era of AI.
You are warmly invited to participate in and contribute your research, experiences and insights to the International Workshop on “Cartographic and Geospatial Information Education: Transformation in the Era of AI”, jointly organized by the Commission on Education and Training, the Working Group on the Cartographic Body of Knowledge and the Commission on Open Source Geospatial Technologies in partnership with the Stellenbosch University, South Africa.
The workshop will take place at the campus of the Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa, on August 12, 2023. It is scheduled for attendees to conveniently continue their journey to the 31st International Cartographic Conference in the same city between August 13-18, 2023.
This workshop will bring together educators and experts to share the latest work, best practices and developments on related themes. Suggested topics of interest can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Developing the Body of Knowledge for cartography
- AI-powered teaching and learning in cartography and GIS
- Integrating AI into cartographic and geospatial information education
- Curriculum design for cartographic and geospatial information education
- Developing on-line educational resources for cartography and GIS teaching
- Best practices in teaching and learning in cartography and geospatial information
- Open source software and datasets in cartographic and geospatial information education
- Integrating cartography into education of geomatics, geography and other disciplines
- Partnerships and collaborations between universities and industry in GIS
- Experiences in teaching cartography and GIS in general education
- Cartographic and geospatial information education in Africa
The workshop is designed to be hybrid depending on local conditions and open to all interested researchers in cartographic and geospatial information education. We cordially invite you to join forum to exchange thoughts on the Education Transformation in the Era of AI. You are mostly welcome to present your work in this workshop by submitting abstracts to the organizers (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com), using the ICA abstract template (available at https://www.ica-conference-publications.net/ica-abstracts_word_template.docx).
The deadline for submitting abstracts is June 06, 2023. Acceptance notification will be sent out before June 30, 2023. Authors of accepted submissions are expected to present their works in the workshop. Selected papers will be invited for a further review for an edited volume planned next year.
Silvana Camboim, Federal University of Paraná, Brazil
Terje Midtbø, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
Zahn Münch, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
Stefan Peters, University of South Australia, Australia
Tao Wang, Capital Normal University, China
 António Guterres, 2022, Transforming Education: An urgent political imperative for our collective future, available at: https://www.un.org/en/transforming-education-summit/sg-vision-statement (accessed on Feb 15, 2023)