The following list intents to provide available training workshops and online education material to gain basic as well as advanced cartographic skills.
ONLINE LEARNING MATERIAL
Hereinafter you will find a collection of Cartography related education resources in English language. These include books and online available lectures as well as tutorials. We can’t list everything, but tried to provide a comprehensive list in order to distribute relevant and up-to-date education material.
Basic Cartography – useful literature (selection)
- Krygier J, Wood D(2011). Making maps: a visual guide to map design for GIS. Guilford Press.
- Slocum TA (2009). Thematic cartography and geovisualization. Prentice hall.
- Brewer CA, ESRI Press (2006). Designing better maps: A guide for GIS users.
- Longley P (2005). Geographic information systems and science. John Wiley & Sons.
- Kraak MJ, Ormeling F (2002). Cartography: Visualization of Spatial Data. Prentice Hall.
- Anson RW, Ormeling F (1996). Basic cartography for students and technicians. Vol. 1-3. Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Robinson AH, Morrison JL, Muehrcke PC, Kimerling AJ, Guptill SC (1995). Elements of Cartography, 6th edition, Wyley.
- Wood D (1992). The Power of Maps. New York/London: The Guilford Press.
- Monmonier M (1991). How to Lie with Maps. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
De Smith MJ, Goodchild MJ, Longley P (2007/2015). Geospatial analysis: a comprehensive guide to principles, techniques and software tools. Troubador Publishing Ltd.
web version: http://www.spatialanalysisonline.com/
Useful online resources for Cartography & GIS theory and tutorials
- ESRI – Training Catalog (free and fee-based courses/seminars)
… 2014 and 2015 Esri User Conference Technical Workshops
FOSS4G Academy Curriculum – comprehensive QGIS tutorials
GITTA (Geographic Information Technology Training Alliance)
Ordnance Survey – Explanation of crucial principles for a successful cartographic map design
Introduction to Digital Cartography, Institute for Geoinformatics, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
Mapping Our Changing World (GEOG 160) – A social science general online course required for students pursuing the BA/ BS in Geography, offered through University Park campus and other participating Penn State campuses
GIS course (Geographer's Craft), Dept. of Geography, University of Texas at Austin
Intro to GIS, Prof. Jochen Albrecht, Hunter College, NY, USA
Intro to GIS, Professor N. Schuurman, Simon Fraser University, Canada
Short courses and workshops Open Source GIS & Webmapping
Monde Geospatial – Blog with collection of Video tutorials for GIS, Cartography, RS, Geodesy
Advanced GIS: Web GIS – 10 week guided tutorials
Open Source Geospatial Laboratory at ETHZ – Interactive Web Maps and more
GISC – GIS & Webmapping tutorials
GISC: Additional useful resources for GIS/Cartography/Web-Mapping
Link selection dedicated to Cartography education (history, traditional/modern cartography, map types, map design)
Resources and additional information about cartographic design topics, to accompany Maptime Boston's May 2016 meetup
GISGeography.com – website about creating unique content about all aspects of GIS. This comes in the form of well-crafted infographics, guest posts and comprehensive lists
Further presentation slides can be found at: (e.g. using “cartography” in the search field)
GIS and Mapping software
- ESRI ArcGIS
- Hexagon Geospatial
- Autocad Map 3D
- MAPublisher / Adobe Illustrator
Open source GIS and Mapping software
Geographic data – online available
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/ (download via various platforms, e.g. geofabrik)
- Natural Earth
- Census Bureau
- Ordnance Survey
- Sunlight Foundation
- Social Explorer
You may find further advanced/specific material on the webpage of other ICA commissions.
In case you would like to recommend further education material resources please contact the commission chairs.