Cartography and geospatial information education has always gradually been changing its contents, as well as corresponding effective approaches to deliver resilient education. COVID-19 has caused an unprecedented impact on every aspect of society since December of 2019. According to UNESCO monitoring, more than one billion students have experienced school closure. Cartography and geospatial information education is no exception. With the help of rapidly improving online meeting tools, some institutions have set teaching and learning onto digital platforms, though some may choose other ways to continue sharing knowledge. Shifting from typical classroom lecturing and face-to-face meeting to online and hybrid learning poses challenges for us, but it also offers opportunities.
The ICA Commission on Education and Training is organizing an online workshop “Challenges and Opportunities of Cartography and GIS Education: in the Classroom and in the Cloud” on October 27 and 28, 2021. The workshop will be scheduled to accommodate as many regions of the world as possible.
This workshop welcomes educators and researchers in the discipline of cartography and geospatial information and invites everyone to share experiences and insights on education. Suggested topics of interest can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Developing online educational resources and open textbooks for cartography and GIS
- Experiences in online cartography and GIS teaching at various levels
- Technical support for academic education in cartography and GIS
- New paradigms of teaching and fieldworks in a social transforming era
- Use of open source software and datasets, alternatives to field data collection in cartography and geospatial information education
- Resilient curriculum and course design for cartography and GIS education
- Theoretical foundations for teaching and learning of cartography
- Development of a ‘Body of Knowledge’ for cartography and course design
- Linking cartographic education with education in other geo-related disciplines
- Ensuring relevance of education for industries – what employers want from graduates in cartography and geospatial information
- Accreditation and professional recognition of education in cartography and GIS
You are invited to contribute presentations by submitting abstracts using the Template for the Abstracts of the ICA Series (available at https://www.ica-conference-publications.net/ica-abstracts_word_template.docx). The workshop is free of charge and open to all interested with cartography and geospatial information education. We hope the workshop can be a platform for educators and researchers to exchange and share best practices and experiences.
Please contact the Chairs of the Commission, Tao Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Stefan Peters (email@example.com) for submission before October 10, 2021. A special issue with a journal to publish a selection of presentations is under discussion.
If you wish to be updated concerning the agenda or receive more information, please contact Tao Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org).
 Education: From disruption to recovery, https://en.unesco.org/covid19/educationresponse (5.5.2021)