The ICA Commission on Education and Training acts as a forum to maintain an overview of cartographic education worldwide; to deliver presentations, papers, workshops and contributions to other programmes, which focus on educational material in the subject of cartography; and to investigate and report on technologies, concepts and methods of educational and training courses. The CET webpage serves as a depository of records for such information.
TERMS OF REFERENCE 2015-2019
The ToR collectively addressed the three basic functions of the CET:
- To monitor educational provision in the field of cartography
- To advise on and to deliver educational material in varying areas
- To consider the impact of generic research and experiences in education at all levels
In more detail the ToR of the CET involve:
- To promote and deliver workshops (and online, eLearning alternat ives), possibly in conjunction with other ICA Commissions, introducing, in particular, knowledge transfer to developing member nations of ICA.
- To maintain a record of educational courses at all levels which include cartography, with an emphasis on learning from those ICA member nations which have been successful in expanding cartographic education in recent years.
- To record ad hoc courses (notably those delivered online, commercially presented, or professional development courses) and their creators/deliverers, to confirm the scope of cartographic education.
- To explore the possibilities of developing a Body of Knowledge (BoK) for cartography, which could be used for developing contemporary educational programmes and encouraging the creation of specific cartographic modules with valid and viable learning outcomes.
- To examine the role of accreditation of educational courses by professional bodies and to report on the formalisation of cartography qualifications.
- To work towards the overall aims of ICA: long term as indicated in the Statutes, shorter term such as International Map Year, and ongoing including contributing to the new International Journal of Cartography and to International Cartographic Conferences.